The Association for the Development of Rural Capacities (ADR) was founded in 1996 as a Lebanese NGO having no political, religious, or familial affiliations. Its mission is to empower and integrate marginalized people living mainly in South Lebanon through sustainable economic and social development.
The objectives of ADR are:
- Improve access to financial services, training, tools, and information.
- Facilitate access to the labor market and develop income generating projects in rural and semi-urban communities.
- Promote partnerships and decentralized cooperation.
ADR's cherished image is that of an institution with a team of professionals in the field of development economics. While recognizing the importance of relief and advocacy, ADR's focal theme is socio-economics and its primary means of intervention is through development with the spread of financial services, the dissemination of technical formation, diffusion of agricultural services, and support decentralized processes.
Working with street vendors, market workers, craftsmen, farmers, small entrepreneurs, women, youth, refugees, and local authorities and stakeholders from the most impoverished areas of Lebanon has strengthened ADR’s position as a leading developmental NGO in Lebanon.
Since its creation and through the continuous private and institutional support allowed ADR to design and implement projects according to the communities' wants and needs made available through its four key programs:
- Micro Credit
- Vocational Training
- Social services & decentralized cooperation
ADR's values are:
- Commitment to the principles of equity, gender equality, youth, environment, good governance, and social cohesion.
- Commitment to poverty reduction through the dissemination of knowledge, technology and sources of empowerment.
- Dedication to creating synergy between NGOs, donors, partners, volunteers, local civil societies and local authorities for the purpose of socio-economic sustainability.
- Commitment to efficiency, transparency and accountability to ensure the implementation of international standards at every level of operations.
- Commitment to micro-credit as a reliable, self sustainable financial service to alleviate poverty in Lebanon’s urban and rural areas.
- Commitment to the expansion and improvement of education, vocational training and social conditions.
- Commitment to agricultural advancement and innovation for financial, social and environmental sustainability.
- Dedication to decentralized cooperation and good governance to promote development.
- Commitment to the progress and solidarity within the Euro-Mediterranean partners.
- Commitment to population assistance in the face of unforeseen circumstances, crises or economic change.